Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Pursuit of Lucy Banning by Olivia Newport

I loved everything about this book, from the cover to the pages within.  I think the cover is absolutely beautiful and captures Lucy Banning quite well and gives you a picture of Lucy and her culture to better relate to her in the book.

Now, onto the story!  I had a hard time tearing myself away from the story.  It captivated me from the beginning and I found myself whisked away to 1893, Chicago, and the World's Fair.  I found it very interesting to read about Mr. Ferris, who invented the Ferris wheel and imagining all of the speculation that people would have about this wheel that goes around and around.  I could see that it would possibly be considered to be unsafe by some and actually quite impossible to carry out!  I loved the story ending, although I did feel bad for Daniel and all that he went through.  I really hope the next book talks about Charlotte.  I'm anxious to know if she gets her baby back.  I can't imagine the pain that she has gone through of boarding her baby.  I'm also curious about her past.  I know it talked about it a little in this book, but I want more information!  So, please continue with these same characters and tell us more!


It was interesting how Lucy was a girl, going to college, but had to keep it a secret because at that time, it wasn't a becoming thing to do.  Who would have thought that so many years later it would be a becoming thing for most women to go to college.  I loved how she stood up for herself, befriended those less fortunate than her, but never really acted the role of a wealthy person.  In fact, she wanted to be someone where the expectations were less. 

If you like historical fiction, grab this book.  It was a wonderful book to read and I think you will absolutely enjoy reading about the World's Fair and all the preparations they had to do for it.  Lots of history, but a wonderful romance story weaved within so you hardly notice that you're learning something along the way!

_________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment