Sunday, April 12, 2015

Barkley's Great Escape by Wanda Wyont


Learning water safety has never been more fun than when there are animals involved. I purposefully wanted to review this book because I wanted to talk about water safety with my children. We just had a baby and I wanted them to have a memorable story to learn from.

I liked how the story centers around a dog, Barkley, who gets out of his fence on goes on a grand adventure around his neighborhood. He comes to a pool and decides to get in. However, he drifts to the middle and he's not a strong swimmer. He grows tired and thinks he'll never make it out of the pool. He does eventually make it to the side of the pool to hang on until the pool owner's come out and rescue him.

My daughter liked the illustrations that told the story very clearly, without even having to use words. She also liked that the next time Barkley went swimming, he wore a life jacket. 

The illustrations were definitely eye-catching for a child and I enjoyed them, as well. At the back of the book, there are conversation starters and questions about water safety that allows you the chance to talk more to your child about the importance of water safety.

With summer coming up, this is a great book for those little guys to read and learn from.
_______________
I received this book free from Ambassador International in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Megan, thank you very much for the review. Your comments are appreciated! It means so much to me to hear that your daughter liked the story, too. As you know, water safety is a very important topic to have with our young children.

Wanda

Maria Bostian said...

Water safety is a very important topic for young children. So glad that you are helping spread important water safety messages!

Post a Comment