Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Strength Renewed by Shirley Corder

I can think of so many people who would be encouraged by this book.  I have never had breast cancer but have had many friends walk through this diagnosis.  As I hear them pour out their hearts, I can't even begin to imagine the many confusing and discouraging thoughts that would pour into my head.

As I was reading this book, which is full of short meditations, I felt like I was reading a woman's private journal, full of ups and downs.  Each meditation is accompanied with Bible scriptures that encourage and remind of God's promises.  Concluding each meditation is a prayer.  I also thought it was very helpful to read how to help someone who is walking through this journey.  It was good to know some things of what not to say and how to actually be an encouragement.

I really liked how she shared some of her journey, and things that the Lord had taught her along the way in the form of a devotional. I think, though, the most insightful things for me to read were the application questions that were tucked within the meditation.  Many of the questions were ones that I had never realized had to be dealt with on such a frequent basis.  Just reading them and trying to envision what life would be like with a whole new schedule was exhausting.  I can't even begin to imagine how draining it would be to actually carry out and deal with all of the appointments, medications, emotions, schedules, family, etc.

No one, including me, wants to go through cancer.  However, I pray that if I do that I will glorify Christ in my diagnosis.  I think that's what made me like this book so much and want to give it away.  It wasn't like many that are focused on the patient.  This is focused on the patient, but it reminds them that there's a bigger goal in mind while journeying through breast cancer.  There's someone more powerful to depend on who will renew our strength when we feel like we can't go on and that it'd be easier to give up. 

If you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer or someone who has been on this journey for awhile, give them this book.  I'm sure that they could relate to Shirley Corder and her own personal journey.
________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

1 comments:

Ruth Ann Dell said...

I agree- this beautifully written book is the perfect gift for anyone going through the cancer valley.

Post a Comment