Friday, October 5, 2012

Life with Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher

Lily is just a little 6-year-old girl who is Amish and lives with her Mama, Papa, and her two younger brothers.  She experiences the simplicities of the Amish life, but finds such amazement in the little things.  She enjoys helping her mother carry out her chores, playing with her brother, befriending other children, and her life never falls short of adventure.  In fact, some of her adventures made me cringe, but I was so glad to see that my kids share in some of her adventures!  I liked seeing how they participated in certain holidays and special events because we put so much emphasis on the gifts when they put the emphasis on the person and on the event or holiday.  They seem to focus on the the reason of why they are gathered together celebrating.

It took me a few chapters to get used to reading shorter, less complex sentences but once I got the hang of the writing style, I really enjoyed this book.  I only mention that because it is written more for younger children, but it's a great book for a mother to read to her children before bed or during story time.  I actually read a lot of it to my 2-year-old and my 4-year-old.   I got lots of "whys" to some of the stories, but they really enjoyed it.  I liked reading something beside short little books.

I am putting this book on the shelf, right beside the Little House on the Prairie books and the Anne of Green Gables because I know this will be a series that I want my daughter to read and re-read as she grows older.  I love how the book is written from Lily's perspective.  Most of the Amish books are written from the adults perspective, or the teens, but it was neat to think about how a little girl might feel or interact with her peers.  I'm excited about this new series and all the possibilities for Lily.  I kind of could see a new "American Girl" series beginning!  Except for the fact....well...it'd be about the Amish instead!
___________________
I received this book free from Revell, a part of Baker Publishing, and Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.  To read more reviews on this book or to find out more information on this book or the authors, go to  http://litfusegroup.com/campaigns/life-with-lily-kindlenook-giveaway-1016-author-chat-party-with-suzanne-woods-fisher-and-mary-ann-kinsinger-and-blog-tour

0 comments:

Post a Comment