Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Light in the Wilderness by Jane Kirkpatrick

A Light in the Wilderness  -     By: Jane Kirkpatrick
Not much is more relaxing after a long day than opening a book and taking a time travel back to the 1800's. I know the time was tough, but I enjoy the history found in most of Jane Kirkpatrick's books. She makes history come alive with her rich research and grand storytelling.

I might have been a bit partial to Davey with him being Irish. I was glad that he had compassion on Letitia. I can't imagine the restrictions back then on being a minority or immigrant and what they faced if they broke the "rules" and fell in love.

Letitia never fell into "victim" mode. Instead, in my opinion, she embraced the unfairness and chose to make the best of it. She was courageous and bold. As I was reading, I kept thinking of how I don't think I could be so bold. She was never truly accepted anywhere. Not by her government, not by society. I liked how close her friendship was with one other lady.

This book left me stuck in the 1800s for a little time afterwards because I couldn't stop thinking about it. The cover is beautiful too!
______________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment