Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Remember the Lilies by Liz Tolsma

Remember the Lilies  -     By: Liz Tolsma
I think I've mentioned this in my previous reviews of the books by Liz Tolsma, but I must say it again. I absolutely love the covers on her books, including this one. In fact, that is the reason I first picked up her books. I think this look has defined her and set her books apart. I can spot one of her books right away!

I had never heard of the Santo Tomas Internment Camp, located in the Philippines, until this book. I had no idea of the life they were forced to live under the control of the Japanese. It was not pretty. I enjoyed the history note at the end of the book but am shocked by the one reason no one died from. What they existed on was absolutely absurd.

There were a few times where I was nervous about Irene's safety. She was a girl that took risks and knew no home, since she was a missionary with her aunt. She had to come to terms that her mother and father might not have loved her.

I liked Rand as the story went on. I'll admit that I was a bit unsure about him in the beginning. It was necessarily that he was a bad guy, but that he was a womanizer focused on growing his bars. He was not a one-woman man. I liked his compassion and the risks he took. I cringed at some of the decisions he made that got him in trouble with the Japanese.

I was carried away on a story full of history, love, and oppression, as well as death. I'm quite interested in learning more about this Internment Camp. There is a little mystery involved and a big secret to be revealed at the end of this book. It didn't necessarily end exactly how I'd hoped, but that's okay! It was a wonderful book, nonetheless.

Read more reviews on this book at http://litfusegroup.com/campaigns/remember-lilies-liz-tolsma.
______________

{More about Remember the Lilies}

Remember the Lilies (Thomas Nelson, February 2015)
Can Irene and Rand stave off starvation until the American troops bring freedom?
Interred by the Japanese, missionary Irene Reynolds comes across a mysterious note while working at the censor’s office. She memorizes the parts she must black out and delivers it to wealthy nightclub owner Rand Sterling. Before she knows what’s happening, she’s drawn into a web of secrets and danger.
Rand Sterling wants nothing more than to reopen his nightclubs once the war ends. But slimy Frank Covey wants his hand in the till—and has news that could threaten Rand’s reputation if it became public. More importantly, beautiful and intriguing Irene Reynolds cannot discover this information if he expects to persuade her to become his wife.
When Irene is attacked by a sinister Japanese guard and their secrets are exposed, they must learn the true meaning of forgiveness—if they can stave off starvation until the American troops bring freedom.
Learn more and purchase a copy at Liz’s website.
Liz Tolsma

{More About Liz Tolsma}

“New York Times” best-selling author Liz Tolsma is the author of “Daisies are Forever,” “Snow on the Tulips,” and the contributing author of “A Log Cabin Christmas.” When not busy putting words to paper, Liz enjoys reading, walking, working in her large perennial garden, kayaking, and camping. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and children, all adopted internationally.
Find out more about Liz at http://www.liztolsma.com.
______________
I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers and Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment