Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki

The Accidental Empress  -     By: Allison Pataki
At first, I wasn't certain I would even like this book. I had liked The Traitor's Wife, but usually this type of fiction isn't one that I gravitate to. I finally decided I'd go ahead and give it a try because sometimes it's good to branch out of my normal genre. And guess what?! Probably one of my top books that I've read so far this year.

I enjoyed all of the historical facts that were throughout the pages. It flowed perfectly within the story and never felt like a bunch of historical facts. I was surprised at myself when I at first liked the emperor and then I couldn't stand the man by the end. However, I will admit, I still have a soft spot for him, hoping things turn around.

And forget about the emperor's mom. I can't stand the woman. I'm not certain how the real Empress Elisabeth was able to stand her. I kept wanting Sisi (a.k.a. Elisabeth) to fire out some comments to her or stand up for herself more than she did.

I appreciated the interview at the end of the book that really helped give me more of a perspective on what drove Pataki to write this book, as well as more of a background. Normally I read that part first, but I waited this time because it made more sense to read it at the end, after all of the characters in the story had been solidified for me.

My only caution about this book is the fact that there were a few times that certain words were used that I thought could have been left out. I understood some of the behaviors because that was the time period and that was the culture. However, the story would have been just as beautiful without the added colorful words in the story.

Pataki has hinted that Sisi has more to her story. I sure hope so! Now I want to know more about this Empress who is so fascinating.
________________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment