
Donald Miller is probably one of those names that most people have heard about. He has written Blue Like Jazz and A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. The thing I appreciate the most about Miller is his honesty. Even if it makes him less popular among people, he's not afraid to wrestle out his thoughts with others, including his readers.
Scary Close is a book that is a bit challenging to people like myself, who are introverts. Sometimes it takes a lot to be around people and to open up and be honest. I enjoyed going on the journey with Miller as he found how to balance life with an extrovert and the own problems that come with being an introvert. Honestly, I could relate easily to his desire to rent a cabin and be away from people for an extended time just to write. I think all introverts can relate to the always occurring problem of being with people and opening up and risking yourself with those who enjoy and long for the spotlight vs. being alone in a room to recharge.
Miller holds nothing back in this book, even sharing some stories from his therapy sessions. He talks about his childhood experiences at school and other issues that I think most people would hesitate to tell their close friend, let alone a random reader. However, that's what I appreciated most. The honesty, transparency, and vulnerability. It revealed to me how much I long to be those things with certain people, but it comes at the risk of ignoring what others will think of you. Miller reminds his readers that life isn't supposed to be about "more" and "impressing others." There's more to life and happiness than that.
____________________
I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment