Thursday, November 12, 2015

Saturate by Jeff Vanderstelt

Saturate

I have been very excited to read this book ever since I saw the title of this book. I knew it would be one that was challenging and would help challenge me to be intentional in my every day life. It's so easy to go into the mundane tasks of the day as a checklist and to forget the intentional relationships I need to continue to pursue that are all around me.

Jeff does a great job at starting with the basics and explaining how being a disciple of Jesus is as simple as investing in the lives of others. The story Jeff shares about his mom and dad and how they used their home has stuck with me. I had just been in that situation in thinking that maybe I needed to do more, when in fact, I had been doing it all along. I appreciated that personal story because it was easy to relate to and a good picture of what it means to be intentional.

Growing up in the Bible belt (although it's becoming less and less that), many people say they love Jesus and they go to church, but then they act anything but Christ-like on the other 6-1/2 days of the week. Jesus gets put into a box in the lives of many people, and it's quite easy to do if we're not intentional. Jeff reminds us that Jesus needs to be in everything. We are to saturate our lives with Jesus. It doesn't mean we jam Him down the throats of people or anything, but that our own lives are so saturate with Jesus that His characteristics flow out of us.

Throughout the book, Jeff gives some wonderful examples of things to consider in our own lives. I was challenged to really meditate and be honest with myself about what areas I've boxed in and what areas I need to be more intentional about in being sure Jesus is seen in even the mundane tasks I perform.

When I first got this book, I decided I would read it at night. Then I learned that would be impossible because it is definitely one that I needed to read alert and really soak in all that he was sharing in these pages. I love books that challenge me and encourage me and this one did it.
_______________
I received this book free from Crossway in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment