Sunday, October 21, 2018

Gathering of Sisters by Darla Weaver




















I was so excited to receive this book in the mail for several reasons. First of all, I love stories about the Amish and Mennonites. I find their intentionality about life challenging and I want to incorporate that into my life....like making time to visit with others and cooking with my kids.

Second, the cover of this book is beautiful. I carried it around many places and was always asked what book I was reading simply based on the cover. The contrasting colors really grab a reader's eye. I know we don't judge a book by its cover, but I do enjoy a beautiful book cover!

Since reading this book, I feel like the term "simple living" doesn't apply to them. They aren't living simply. Their lifestyle requires a lot of work. They definitely aren't chosing the simple way. However, I do see an intentionality in which they are living. Right in the opening pages of the book you learn of  Darla's intentionality by spending every Tuesday with her family.

There's not action plastered on the pages of this book but there is real life. I love getting to see the daily interactions and chores that are on their to-do list. I like seeing how parenting differs, too. Darla has 3 kids herself. But combined, there are more than 20 cousins! I can't even imagine the fun they all have together! No screens, only creativity!

Another thing I absolutely loved is that there are recipes! I love to buy food at the local Menonite store, so I can't wait to try the recipes!

This is a book that you can get lost in very quickly, as it takes you to another world that's a lot slower than my world. It's a world of intentionality and a world of peace as they remember who they are ultimlately living for. I've learned a few things from this book to put into my life!
____________
I received a complimentary copy of this book. No review was required, and all thoughts expressed are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment