Sunday, August 3, 2014

Woman of Courage by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Woman of Courage  -     By: Wanda E. Brunstetter
I like Wanda Brunstetter.  Her Amish books are so good and I think I have almost all of them.  I actually had seen this book in the store a few weeks ago and had picked it up to read the back.  I was certain I would want to read it because I love reading her books. But then I saw her character was a Quaker.  I normally don't like a lot of books that deal with the Quakers, for some reason.  So I put the book down.  Fast forward to a little later and the book request came for this book. I figured, "why not? Maybe I'll like it." And much to my surprise, I did! I can't believe I ever doubted her book!

First of all, I think the cover is beautifully done.  The images on the front have good contesting colors and the font used blends so well.  The back of the book wasn't left out and it's nice and simple.  To me, that's beautiful.

I really enjoyed pondering on all that Amanda gave up in order to do what she felt God was calling her to do.  She was single and didn't let it hinder her in becoming a missionary to the Nez Perce Indians.  That's easy to read until you start thinking about her going west by herself at a time where women did not do that.  Not only that, but her life becomes at stake in several instances.  She has to learn who to trust all by simply relying on the Lord's guidance. She has no one to discuss thing with until she meets Mary. 

I liked watching the relationship develop with Buck and Amanda.  It was no easy relationship and was full of hardships and difficult situations.  There's one thing holding Amanda back... Buck isn't a believer and she knows she can't be with someone who is not a Christian. After already being heartbroken with one relationship, she's not quite ready to dive into another one where it is certain she will be heartbroken again.

This was a fascinating perspective on the Quakers and in a way that I never thought I would enjoy.  This has made me realize not to doubt her writing again!
_____________
I received this book free from Shiloh Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment