Monday, October 5, 2015

For the Love by Jen Hatmaker

For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards  -     By: Jen Hatmaker
It has been such an incredibly long time since I've read a book that had me laughing one moment and shaking my head in agreement wanting to yell "Amen" the next. Oh how I can relate to her and the exercise pants. Seriously... there are no pants more comfortable than those. Amen to those leggings are not pants section.... at any age.

But on the more serious things, I may not agree with everything that she writes but I respect her for writing with fierce convictions and for pointing out how we need to fight for grace in a world of impossible standards.

My favorite section had to deal with small groups. I think it was because I've been struggling with this and I appreciated the freedom she gave me. At this season in my life, I don't have enough time in my day to do all of these organized things at church and still be able to reach out to my neighbors, have them over for dinner, or just go sit on their porch with them. I want to do that. I appreciated that she talks about how we don't always need more organized groups, because that's been my thought. I like the organic kind where I'm not forced into friendships where the people tend to treat it as a clique. I want authentic, transparent relationships, not competitive and judgmental ones. And I can so relate to her slipping out and not saying goodbye. I'm so glad that someone else would rather slip in and out too. I wondered if something was wrong with me, but hey, now I can simply ask WWJH do. She would exit like a quiet ninja and never look back!

I was challenged by this book, yet encouraged. I had my eyes opened to some things that I hadn't spent much time thinking about. I felt a freedom in some areas that I have been fighting for some time when it came to the local church and how we are adding more without considering what might need to lessen. This is a book I'm keeping on my shelf and reading and re-reading. Thank you for writing this book, Jen Hatmaker.
_____________________
I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment