Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Promise to Keep by Elizabeth Byler Younts

NEW! #3: Promise to Keep  -     By: Elizabeth Younts
I absolutely love history now that I'm older. I find that I gravitate a lot towards fictional books that include history. However, I still love my Amish fiction. Usually those two genres don't go together, so that is what has endeared this series to me. I finally have my two favorite genres joined together! I read a lot of books and I can't really think of an Amish series that includes more of the historical setting of WWII. It may be out there, but I haven't ran across it yet.

What makes this book so interesting is because the author is interesting. She was Amish and still has Amish family, even though she is not Amish anymore. She also married a man in the Air Force. Fascinating! So she writes with a lot of knowledge of the Amish community and the military.

As a music therapist and someone who is partially deaf in one ear, and someone who loves sign language, the characters in this book spoke to my heart. I loved watching Joe learn to interact and communicate with his daughter.

This book stirs up many emotions that the characters have to deal with. There's risk, loss, fear, frustration, anger, and lastly, love. Daisy may bring Joe and Esther together, but they ultimately have to decide if love is more than the loss they have and will experience in their lives.

I'm sad that this series is ending. I really hope she continues to blend history and Amish fiction together. It really sets her books apart and makes them very memorable to her readers.
_________________________
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

A Word from the Author:

I’m Elizabeth, a blessed child of The King. I’m a middle-born daughter, military officer’s wife, homeschooling mama, writer, closet DIYer, and, dare I say it, Downton Abbey addict. May I also mention that I love both my history and my coffee rich.

I am formerly Amish and my heritage is very dear to me and thankful to be so accepted among my still Amish family. I can still speak PA Dutch, too! You can learn more about my Amish family in my first book Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl.

My three book series with Howard Books (a division of Simon & Schuster) is a dream come true. The series is titled The Promise of Sunrise. In this series you will live through World War 2 from an Amish perspective and experience their unique struggles as conscientious objectors during wartime. What happened if one of their members enlisted? What was it like to serve at the Civilian Public Service Camps for years with almost no compensation? How did Amish women and families cope when a son or father was drafted? I look forward to taking you back into the richness of these years of Amish history through fiction.

ABOUT THE BOOK

World War II Marine Joe Garrison returns home from war longing to be a father to his deaf daughter, Daisy, only to find that she is attached to Esther Detweiler, the Amish woman who has raised her since his wife’s death in this touching historical romance.

Orphaned as a child, Esther Detweiler is used to caring for herself and her ailing grandmother. They made the best out of a hard life and poverty without asking for help. They even take in her shunned cousin’s deaf daughter, Daisy, when her mother dies and her father goes off to war. When Esther’s grandmother dies, Daisy is all she has.

When war veteran Joe Garrison returns, all he can think about is recovering from the horrors of war and building a relationship with his seven-year-old daughter. Daisy, however, is unwilling to leave Esther, whom she loves. Joe and Daisy get to know each other again, but Joe struggles with nightmares and fatherhood is proving to be more difficult than he imagined. Esther loves Daisy and despite her Amish ways, Joe finds himself drawn to her as a woman and not just a caregiver.

As their love blossoms, Joe decides to send Daisy away to a school for the deaf which propels their lives into turmoil and a battle for love and family.

If you would like to read the first chapter of Promise to Keep, go HERE.
_________________________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers and CFBA in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment