Sunday, January 27, 2019

Once We Were Strangers by Shawn Smucker



I don't know that I have the right words to sum up how much I enjoyed this book. I loved the transparency that Shawn had when he talked about how he didn't know if he could write this book because he didn't know if he could be a good friend to Mohammad, who is a Syrian Refugee.

Mohammad's story is amazing in itself. The determination he had and the love and desire to protect his family is one that every single parent can relate to. I was humbled by how grateful he was for a little house and a job. For him, he wasn't doing all of this for himself. He was doing it so his kids could have a better life.

To try to sum up this book is hard because it's written just like you're sitting across the table from them and joining them in their conversations. It's a story being lived. It's sacrifices made. It's a friendship formed. It's not a "how-to" book or a "you should" book. It's a book that shows how friendships are important, even those that include refugees.

Thank you Shawn and Mohammad for writing your story and for sharing your friendship with the world. I've thought so much on many of the things that you've said and have even found myself quoting part of your words to friends! Thank you for making people more aware of the life of a refugee. I can see Mohammad's smile shining through the pages of the book!
___________
I received a complimentary copy of this book. No review was required, and all thoughts expressed are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment