
I am a big reader of Amish fiction and nonfiction. I am really intrigued by their way of life and enjoy learning what they do during their days. Usually, I only get to read about this in fiction books or when I get the opportunity to read a very few nonfiction books on the Amish. I am thrilled that this series is sharing the thoughts and hearts of so many women. I don't know how I haven't heard of this series before now, with this being book 4! It is so fresh and delightful to read.
Marianne Jantzi is an Amish homemaker with children about the same ages as mine. I enjoyed her stories that were parts of her journal entries. It flows differently than most books because it is grouped together based on themes, not necessarily in order of events. It does mean that the ages of the children and stage of life change throughout the same chapter or the same section, but I didn't find that to disrupt the flow of her stories.
I liked the thoughts that she shared about motherhood, teaching, and being a wife. Her husband seems to be a funny man. One of my favorite stories has to do with the chickens getting a steak dinner!
The whole book is wonderful, but I really liked the recipes in the back, as well as the FAQ page where she answers questions about the Amish. I was so glad she put a schedule of her day in the book, too. It was neat to see how different it is from my own schedule. It's hard work, but it seemed so much simpler and the calendar less crowded.
This series is allowing Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite writers to share their lives with readers. I've never even heard of Hutterite, so I'm looking forward to understanding more about these women!
Read more reviews about this book at http://litfusegroup.com/author/mjantzi.
_________________
I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.





1 comments:
Hey Megan!
Hello from FishFlix.com
My name is Max, I’m writing because I recently found your blog and noticed that you sometimes review Christian products. We’re looking for bloggers like you who would like to review a Christian DVD for us.
FishFlix.com is one of the top sites on the web for Christian and family-friendly DVDs. We love having bloggers review products for us because it gives us perspective on the products we sell, and provides us with ever-valuable backlinks.
Could I send you a free DVD in exchange for an honest review and two links to our site? If you’re interested, please reply with your mailing address and your preference of movie type [Children’s | Feature Film | Documentary].
Max Anderson
max@fishflix.com
Post a Comment