This book is a great tool for someone who is downsizing their home, are moving to college and trying to figure out how to pack up things, or anyone else who is living in a small area. It didn't really apply much to me (I don't live in a big house, by any means. I just also don't live in a condo or some small studio.) Despite the differences I have in my living arrangements in which this book targets, I did find helpful tips to use in my own house.
Kathryn goes room-to-room with tips of how to organize each area of your house and how to declutter. I loved how she described her closet spaces because our closets are quite small. I plan to now hang up our mop and broom to get it off the floor to provide more floor space. I also intend to put our sweaters in tubs and stack them so everything looks organized from floor to ceiling. I also liked her tips for decorating the outside and making it friendly and inviting. It doesn't matter how small it is on the inside as long as it's warm and cozy and inviting.
This book came at a time when I had already decided I was going to start decluttering because I'm convinced that I have a lot of things in my house that I really don't need or use. I'm going to keep this book handy for the different ideas as I go throughout my rooms so I can make our house more functional and yes, organized!
____________________
Taken from an interview with Kathryn:
Q: What does "rightsized" living mean?
A: I think
"rightsized" is a relative term, personalized to you and your
family. A home that seems small to one
family might seem big to another. A home
that seems small to you at one phase of your life might seem large at another
time in your life. When I personally
think of small space living, I think of about 400-1200 SF, but some people
might think my 1200 SF apartment is big.
I've heard people say they're downsizing to a "small 2700 SF
house." To me, 2700 SF is big! Again, I'd like to inspire people to make
very conscious choices as to the size of home space they live in, so they're
happy, because I believe when you're happy at home, it radiates out in a
positive way to others in the world.
Kind of like when you find the perfect jeans that fit just right! And likewise, I'll be bold enough to declare
here that when your home space doesn't feel appropriate and supportive to you,
you sadly radiate that crankiness out into the world too!
Q: What are your two best small space organizing
tips?
A: 1. Keep your
gadgets and appliances simple by buying only what you'll truly use.
2. Use all-white
dishes and clear glassware to cut down on how many dish sets you buy. If a dish breaks, you can easily find a new
similar white piece and not have to get a whole new set.
___________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers, a division of Baker Publishing Group, in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.





0 comments:
Post a Comment