Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Stand By Me by Neta Jackson

I am a HUGE fan of the Yada Yada Prayer Group series and the House of Hope series.  I have fallen in love with all of the characters.  Not realizing that the same characters would be carried into this book, I was thrilled to discover that they were still with me!  I have grown to love these characters and just when I thought I had to tell them "goodbye," I got to say "hello again!"

If I could sum up what I feel like when I read this book (as well as any of her Yada Yada books), it's that the entire book makes me want to set it aside and praise God and worship Him with my entire heart.  When I'm reading this book, it makes me feel like I'm in a spirit of worship and I love it!  Not many books give me that feeling, but this book focuses so much on the intent of worship and the spirit of worship that you, as the reader, just can't help but join in.

The summary of the book (which is extremely hard to condense), Kat is a graduate college student who is graduating and looking to work with students in the city of Chicago.  Her three friends join her and they begin to attend SouledOut Community Church.  Avis is a worship leader at the SouledOut Community Church and her husband, Peter, is an elder.  Avis's daughter is going through a rough spell and is needing extra help and attention by Avis.  However, Peter is thinking that God is really calling them to make a life change and do something different in their lives now while they are younger and have the energy to give more to God.  Before they can make this life change, though, Avis needs to be sure that her daughter is and will be okay.  This means that she stays put in Chicago for a bit longer and at SouledOut Community Church.  Kat seems to be drawn to Avis for some reason, but Avis thinks that Kat is just another student who is passionate but is a flake and all talk, no action.  Somehow these two come to realize that they need each other, despite the age differences, their racial differences, and their cultural differences.
________________
I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze® book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

0 comments:

Post a Comment