Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Healer of Fox Hollow by Joann Rose Leonard

I honestly don't know what I expected this book to be when I heard about it.  I had never heard of Joann Leonard so I didn't know for sure if I would even like this book or not.  However, I decided to chance it, and am glad to have discovered a new author that I really enjoyed reading.

Set in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, Layla Tompkin faces many big life-changing events in her short 5 years of life.  Her mother has died, a snake has bit off her tongue, and she has been labeled as mute.  She then goes to a snake-handling church where the pastor tells her that she has a gift of healing.  Once people learn of this wonderful gift Layla has, she starts to get people coming to her to have their illnesses cured.  She seems to have many ups and downs in her life, but just like us, those downs usually lead you to discover yourself and who you are and what really matters in life.  Those trials force you to look at yourself closely and deal with what you see. 

Layla questions herself, questions her beliefs, and uses those very difficult experiences in life to propel her forward in her healing. 

Set in the 1950s, this book captures the culture of the Smoky Mountains very well.  It also highlights the Southern lifestyle in a way, as well.  The pages are filled with a story that is absolutely unlike any you have ever read before, which is a good thing!
_________________________
I received this book free from Vantage Point Publishers and from Joann Rose Leonard in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved you comment about how our struggles "usually lead you to discover yourself and who you are and what really matters in life." Thanks for being part of the TLC Book tours.
joannroseleonard.com

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

Post a Comment