Saturday, November 9, 2013

Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung

Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book About a (Really) Big Problem  -     By: Kevin DeYoung

This is one book that was perfectly timed for me.  I had already recognized the problem in my life, confessed it, and have been seeking Biblical wisdom as to how to handle some of these issues in my own life.  I respect Kevin DeYoung and am so thankful that God had prepped me to hear from him.

Crazy Busy doesn't give you a 5-point plan on  how to get out of the business of life.  It doesn't tell you how to manage your time better.  It does tell you 7 pitfalls to watch for as you go about your busy life.  It reminds you of the things that really aren't important but that we think are important.  It reminds us that if we are too busy to sit at the feet of Jesus every day, then we're never going to get through the craziness of life.  It reminds us how important rest and sleep are, both of which we seem to diminish the importance of at different times of our lives. 

I personally found the part about the parent report card among kids very convicting, because I have recognized for a while that when I am tired and stressed I tend to take out my anger and frustration on my children.  I loved how he reminded me that my kids will remember my character more than anything else about me. 

I appreciated the honesty in this book.  It's written from a personal perspective and I loved the section with Mary and Martha. I have struggled with the same thoughts over Martha because I am wired more like her.  It made me feel so much better to know that I'm not alone in my thoughts over how I would have responded if I were Martha.  But I loved the reminder about Mary.  That has stuck with me.

This book is going on my shelf and will be pulled out many times.  It's already been recommended to many that I know who are struggling with busyness. I appreciate how the focus is on Christ and not our abilities, because we will never have the ability to control the busyness.  I love how he always pointed to Jesus as the example and not some man.  The biblical examples were perfect and not taken out of context.  I'll ever be grateful that this book was written and came at a time where God had prepped me to action and has since given me the peace I had been searching for after wrestling with Him over decisions.  Thank you, Kevin DeYoung!
_____________
I received this book free from Crossway in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment