Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pirates on the Farm by Denette Fretz and Gene Barretta

#1: Pirates on the Farm  -     By: Denette Fretz
This is such a cute kids book!  My son loves cowboys so I knew this book was one that we HAD to read together.  It has already become a family favorite for us.  The illustrations in this book are really pretty and definitely eye-catching for the young kids. 

The storyline itself is just as good.  As I was reading it, I knew there was a message so I immediately began looking for it.  I really liked how the Dad showed love to the pirates even when they were a bit different than the rest of the people he normally interacted with.  This was a powerful book that hit home with us as we've been talking a lot about loving and respecting people even if they treat us badly.  I like how the Dad never disrespected them, but kept reaching out to them.  It was a perfect lesson for us to talk to about with our kids on a level they understood.

I like the hardback book because it won't be easily damaged, which is good because I plan to keep it!  The back has a definitions page called "Stretch's Totally True Seadog Definition."  It has all of the "pirate speak" defined. 

Overall, this would make a great Christmas present for any child.  My oldest, my son, is 5-years-old and loves pirates.  My daughter is 3 and was engaged through the whole book.  It says on the book that it is geared for ages 4-8.  It is also a part of the new series, The Next Door Series.  Excited to read the next one in February.  For any young pirate-lover, this book is a must!
_______________
I received this book free from Zondervan Publishers and Booksneeze in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment