I had seen this book on the "available to review" list, but I kept putting it off because of one reason....the cover. For some reason, it didn't appeal to me at all. The synopsis sounded good, but the cover made me think that I might not like the book. I guess you could says that I "judged this book by the cover." I'm guilty!
I'm glad that I gave this book a chance. I really enjoyed the story. I liked how the story centered around being a ballerina, something of which I know nothing about. Sasha is a dancer who has had a terrible fall and can no longer dance. Instead of playing lead roles in the ballets, she is now doing therapy to regain her ability to walk. Not only that, but she's also trying to overcome her deep depression that has settled in and made her not herself. She pushes everyone away who loves her and cares for her and wants to help her. Even when she pays a lady to help her, she can't treat her nicely. Through a set of circumstances, and grace, Sasha comes to realize that perhaps she needs to take her depression medications and the fog begins to lift.
Evelyn is a woman who can do it all. If you have an odd job, she can fix it. She is engaged to be married at a young age, and against her parents' objections, so as a first step to independence, she accepts a job at Sasha's house to help her in exchange for room and board. Evelyn too often says what she thinks and gets in trouble for it, especially since Sasha is so focused on herself, her injury, and the death of her mother. As life changes for Evelyn, will she begin to see that perhaps giving up college wouldn't be in her best interest? Evelyn is the one person who can talk some sense into Sasha. Can Evelyn make Sasha see that turning her husband away from her because of her injury wasn't something that would profit either one of them? Will Donald, Sasha's husband, be able to see his wife again and make her understand that he loves her, even more than dance?
This is a nice and relaxing read. I read it on the beach and I'll say it was a great beach read! So the lesson for you? Don't judge this book by the cover!
____________
I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review of this book.





0 comments:
Post a Comment