Friday, June 15, 2012

No Greater Love by Levi Benkert

To say that I liked this book would be a little tough.  This book left me heartbroken and sad and wanting to do something to help.  It was a book that did not have a happy ending, which Levi tried telling me but I just didn't understand how it couldn't until I came to the end and looked back.  This book has left me changed.

Levi and his family left all they had and knew and flew to Ethiopia to work with a tribe that was killing their children because they were "mingi."  They could be declared "mingi" if a child's top teeth came in before their bottom teeth, if the parents were unmarried, or if the married couple didn't  have a ceremony saying that they were going to try to conceive.  They would then kill the the baby upon birth or after they realized their child was "mingi."  One child was a bit older and ran away.  He knew his parents were going to kill him and had no doubt seen it done to his friends. 

The stories of the killings were heartbreaking.  I honestly had no idea that tribes were doing this today.  I knew some were forcing abortions, etc, but didn't know that they were outright killing them because they were afraid of evil spirits.  My eyes were opened to the fact that a mother could hurt for her child, but still allow her child to be harmed.

When I finished this book, which I don't think any review could ever do this book justice, I hopped online to find out more about this organization and how to help save these children.  They need Jesus and the only way they will know about Him is if we help Levi and his family. 

Levi and his family willingly went to Ethiopia, set up an orphanage and ran it, fought through difficulties, adopted a few children out, said goodbye to that orphanage for certain reasons talked about in the book, and began a new orphanage and ministry.  All of this while balancing work, marriage, and 4 kids.

This book is small, a fast read, and is a book that everyone should read.  You won't feel the same about Ethiopia after you've read this book.  I guarantee you will want to be a part of this ministry.  Take a chance and open your eyes to the world beyond America. 
___________________
I received this book free from Tyndale Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment