Friday, June 1, 2012

A Love Forbidden by Kathleen Morgan

I love this series!  I haven't read the first book, but I had not problem following along with the characters and I don't feel like I've missed anything by not reading the first book.  However, I did download the first book because I wanted to see how the series started.

This was a refreshing book for me.  It focused on a topic that isn't normally covered but set in the time period of the 1800s.  However, when we think of the 1800s, we think big dresses, the proper ways, etc.  This book focused on how the Ute Indians were being driven away from their land and how the government was not holding up their end of the treaty and basically lied to the Utes.  In order to help the Utes understand the white man and to know how to deal with them and not be duped, Shiloh follows God's leading and goes to the Utes to try to teach their children how to read and be educated.  The Utes aren't too fond of sending their children to school because they feel that it would mean adopting the ways of the white man and losing their own culture.  Shiloh is passionate about teaching and passionate about protecting the Utes.  And if that doesn't sound complicated enough to do, there's also a man, Jesse, that used to work for her father who is now with the Utes.   As they attempt to continue their friendship, it begins to blossom into romance.  However, you can imagine that this won't do....a Ute (who is half white, by the way) and a white well-to-do woman.  So how they can move forward in their relationship when one helps the government and one helps the Utes?  How can the possibly make people see and understand and possibly accept their love?

This book was different for me from what I normally get to read, but it hooked me from the beginning.  I didn't want to put it down!  Definitely a book that won't disappoint.
_____________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.  You can buy this book from Revell or from any bookstore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment