Dorothy Love has become an author that I seek out and am always excited when I see that a new book has come out. Carolina Gold was an interesting book, especially after the book I just finished reading. It picked up where the book I had just finished had left... but the books were by 2 different authors! This book was post war and all of the changes that occurred and how much the people had to fight to rebuild. For many, it wasn't worth it. To Charlotte, though, it meant everything. Charlotte went back to her childhood home without her father, who had just died. She is determined to make an income and keep her land by planting Carolina Gold... that would be rice. As the obstacles stack up against her, she has to decide if its worth it to keep trying or not.
I liked Nicholas from the beginning. I was glad to see him go back to his former occupation and help others with his skills. Josie wore on me, though. I was mad at her for all she did, but I did come to forgive her a bit. I hurt for Nick's 2 daughters as they were left wondering if their dad had left them or not.
My favorite person, though, was the boy who wanted to learn and begged Charlotte to teach him. I really wish she had taught him. He was wanting to soak it all in. I was glad she sort of took care of him, though, and gave him hope.
This was another great book by Dorothy Love. It's a fast read, but sweeps you up in the time period. It's a relevant book and one that is easy to visualize. I liked the dark cover on this book, because it matches the story line perfectly. Not that good doesn't happen in it, but they are struggling through recovery from war and from the fever and these are, in deed, dark times for many.
Read more reviews on this book by going to http://litfusegroup.com/author/dlove.
__________________
Book Info
| |
About the book: The war is over, but her struggle is just beginning.
Charlotte Fraser returns to her late father's once-flourishing rice plantation on the Waccamaw River, determined to continue growing the special kind of rice known as Carolina Gold. But Fairhaven Plantation is in ruins, the bondsmen are free, and money is scarce.
To make ends meet, Charlotte reluctantly accepts a position as tutor to the young daughters of Nicholas Betancourt, heir to the neighboring Willowood Plantation. Then Nick's quest to prove his ownership of Willowood sends Charlotte on a dangerous journey that reveals an old family mystery---and threatens all that she holds dear.
Inspired by the life of a 19th century woman rice planter, Carolina Gold continues Dorothy Love's winning tradition of weaving together mystery, romance, and rich historical detail, bringing to life the story of one young woman's struggle to restore her ruined world.
Purchase a copy: http://ow.ly/s2Q5l About the author: A former journalist, free-lance writer and college professor, Dorothy Love explores the intersection of history and human relationships to create novels that speak to the hearts of women everywhere. She is the author of the acclaimed Hickory Ridge novels set in her native state of Tennessee.After earning a masters degree and Ph.D, she authored dozens of magazine articles before breaking into book publishing with a number of award-winning novels for preteens and young adults. The Hickory Ridge series marked her adult fiction debut. Currently she is working on several stand-alone historical novels set in the South. When she isn't busy writing or researching her next book, Love enjoys hiking, traveling, and hanging out with her husband Ron and their rambunctious golden retriever. The Loves make their home in the Texas hill country. To keep up with Dorothy Love, visit www.dorothylovebooks.com, become a fan on Facebook (Dorothy Love Books) or follow her on Twitter (@writerDorothy). | |
__________________
I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.
About the author: A former journalist, free-lance writer and college professor, Dorothy Love explores the intersection of history and human relationships to create novels that speak to the hearts of women everywhere. She is the author of the acclaimed Hickory Ridge novels set in her native state of Tennessee.



0 comments:
Post a Comment