
Elizabeth Camden is an author that never fails to captivate her readers from the very beginning of her books. This book didn't disappoint at all. I liked everything about this book, from cover to cover and in between.
I have read several fiction books about the Chicago fire, but none that have been in so much detail as this book. In other books, I feel like it's just the minor fact in the story. This story thrives on the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. In fact, the first almost 100 pages of the book is devoted to the fire itself....well, and a little back story of what happened in the 6 days leading up to the fire. I loved the history thrown into this story and how I was able to imagine the fear those people had felt. I simply can't imagine standing in freezing water and watching your city burn and to have to leave behind a framed picture--the only picture you have--of your father and what was close to his heart.
Zack Kazmarek is an intimidating lawyer who has apparently fallen head over heels in love for Mollie Knox, the owner of the 57th Illinois Watch Company that her father created and she inherited after her father's death. However, for Zack to act on his feelings would mean a most certain death to his career with the infamous Hartman....the one who has a lot of money and keeps the watch company in business by buying so many of their watches for their stores. Mollie has no idea of Zack's intentions and to her, he seems arrogant and rude and downright mean. You could even add sneaky and a trickster to the list, although Zack would disagree with those last two.
Zack had to grow on me. I didn't like his attitude and I definitely didn't like the way that he treated Mollie. I liked Mollie from the beginning. She seemed to be smart and caring and didn't care if she lost a deal. She met problems head on and took care of those who needed help. Who couldn't like her?!
After having read several books by Elizabeth Camden, I have to say that I think this is her best book. She keeps getting better and better! Can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
_____________
I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment