Monday, August 5, 2013

Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World

Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World
I read this book, then re-read parts of this book again for encouragement! All of the examples Jill Rigby gives in the beginning of the book for the way our world has become so disrespectful was quite scary...and true.
 
I liked how she reminded me that play was important.  I know it is, but in a culture where it seems everything is going against letting a child free play, it was quite encouraging.  The message today is to keep your child so busy from morning to night and I know that can't possibly be good!  I don't want that!  So thank you for that encouragement.
 
I was also encouraged by the sections talking about character-centered parenting.  That has been my focus with my children and I have stressed different character traits to them and have had them memorize them and we talk about them.  I know many people who never mention them, so I'm grateful that this was mentioned.  I also like the name" character-centered parenting."
 
I think my favorite definition is the one she uses for "discipline."  To quote her, "When parents discipline their kids, they are taking apart a problem in order to thoroughly analyze it."  That should be the goal of all parents!
 
Needless to say, this book is staying on my shelf and will be recommended to many moms who are putting respect at the top of the character training list.
____________________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment