Monday, August 26, 2013

The Amish Canning Cookbook by Georgia Varozza

The Amish Canning Cookbook: Plain and Simple Living at Its Homemade Best  -     
        By: Georgia Varozza
    
I have always wanted to learn to can foods.  My mother does and we grew up eating canned tomatoes, corn, beans, etc.  When I saw this book as one being offered for review, I immediately wanted to read it and try some recipes.
 
I did the apple pie filling and the bread and butter pickles.  They were easy and I can hardly wait to grab a jar and use it in the near future.  I'm thinking the apple pie filling will come in handy at Thanksgiving and will shorten my time in the kitchen.
 
Looking through this book, I was surprised by the things that can be canned.  I honestly had never thought of canning soup...even though it comes in cans at the stores.  I guess that should have been quite obvious to me, but it wasn't.  (Perhaps that tells my age.)  You can even can pickled three-bean salad.  Let's just say that it takes a lot of self-discipline to not want to eat these things right away!
 
I want to do the tomato sauce and the barbeque sauce next, along with some jelly.  I know that some of these things will be perfect for Christmas gifts.
 
I liked the history of canning that is found in the beginning.  If you're new to canning, like me, you will definitely appreciate the information on how to get started.  It explains the different canners and what all you need.
 
Once you choose what kind of canner you are going to use, there is a whole chapter on each canner that explains the process in a step-by-step way. 
 
There is even a chapter on "What went wrong" to answer any questions you have about whether your can is safe to eat or not.  It also explains what could have went wrong with your canning process based on how your can looks.
 
This is a cookbook that will be used over and over and will also be given as a wedding gift to many ladies!  I want to get her other cookbook "The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook."  I know I'll use it a lot.  The Amish eat clean and from the gardens, which I like.
____________
I received this book free from Harvest House Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment