Thursday, August 1, 2013

On Distant Shores by Sarah Sundin


On Distant Shores, Wings of the Nightengale Series #2   -     
        By: Sarah Sundin
    
 
Sarah Sundin has become one of the authors that I anticipate reading when I hear that she has a new book about to come out.  She has done such a good  job writing about the wars and including some romance in there, too.  I can't imagine the amount of time she has spent in research.  She includes even little details that are quite important to the story but still makes it flow seamlessly. 

On Distant Shores is the second book in her Wings of the Nightingale series.  It is about World War II and focuses on Georgiana Taylor who is a flight nurse and Sgt. John Hutchinson, a pharmacist.  I was a little surprised by how pharmacists were treated in the war.  I didn't realize that it wasn't as respected in the Army.  I would have thought that they would have been highly prized since they knew how the medicines worked together. 

Both Georgiana and Hutch had a relationship back in the States, but after being apart for so long, they are wondering if they are even a good match for their intended.  Hutch is a kind of quiet person and Georgiana is social...just what Hutch needs.  Their relationship starts as friends, but who knows where it will end up.  Will they hold out for their loved ones back home or will they decide to give this relationship a try?  Also, what will happen with Rose and Mellie (Georgiana's friends) and their boyfriends?  Will they finally find love?

The main characters are definitely Georgiana and Hutch, but the smaller characters, like Rose, Mellie, Bergie, and a few others are still well developed and I became very interested in the side story.  She weaves her characters together beautifully and they never feel disconnected or just thrown in to the story.

I am very excited to read book 3 in this series.  Even if you don't like stories on wars, I think you'd be surprised to find yourself enjoying this one.  Find out other opinions on this book by going to http://litfusegroup.com/author/Ssundin.
_________________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers and Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

1 comments:

Sarah Sundin said...

Megan - thank you so much for the lovely review - and I'm sorry I didn't find it until now! I'm glad you enjoyed Hutch & Georgie's story.

Post a Comment