Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Big Year for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher

Print

I think that these books are just getting better and better!  The first book was good, but it seemed much more geared for a child.  It had simpler sentences and while it was fun to read to my daughter, I didn't quite feel as engaged in the story as my daughter did.  The second book was better and progressed more, but I think that this book seems as though both writers have fallen into a rhythm.  The story is captivating not just to my daughter, but also to me.  I found myself looking forward to seeing what Lily did next.  The story felt as though it wasn't written just for younger girls.  The sentences included more detail, but was still easy for kids to follow.  The chapters are short, which is great for reading aloud and for attention span.

I think the cover of these books in this series are so pretty.  The girls are absolutely adorable and the colors are so eye-catching.

The back of the book says that this series is geared for girls age 8-12, but both my son and daughter like this book and they are 3 and 4 (almost 5).  We read it right before bed and some in the afternoon.  I get tired of reading little kid books all the time and want to read stories that have more to them!  They liked Lily and Hannah.  Aaron Yoder has become a favorite of mine.  Perhaps they will one day court....

I felt so bad for Lily having to write "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not covet" because of being falsly accused.  My mommy side of me wanted the girl who was actually responsible to get punished!   I mean, she missed recess!  Poor girl!

You can go to AdventuresofLilyLapp.com to check out these books, play games, and meet the authors.  I'm looking forward to reading book 4 in this series soon!
___________________
I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group and Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.  You can also go to http://litfusegroup.com/author/sfisher to read more reviews of this book.



0 comments:

Post a Comment