Friday, July 5, 2013

Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green

Widow of Gettysburg, Heroines Behind the Lines Series #2   -     
        By: Jocelyn Green

I was hooked on this book from the very beginning. I was pulled in and couldn't stop reading this book despite the many things I had on my to-do list today.  I was quite shocked by that because I honestly did not expect this book to be one that was hard to put down.  Sometimes the historical fiction books can be boring, but not this one!

I can't quite pin point what I liked about this book exactly.  I think part of it is that it was inspired by first-person accounts.  I can't imagine the amount of time and research this book took, but what a wonderful idea for a fiction book.  I learned so much about the town of Gettysburg, which I knew nothing about except for the war.  It was fun for me to learn some new facts, but also to get a glimpse through the eyes of the women left behind.  I'm not so sure I would have been as brave as Liberty and Bella.  I am almost positive that I would have packed up and moved on somewhere.  I liked the relationship between Liberty and Bella because it crossed racial divides and brought two women from different classes together.

 I immediately liked Liberty.  Silas puzzled me at first because I wasn't for sure how he knew Liberty.  (I'm not going to tell you because that's part of the fun of this book!) 

I haven't read anything by Jocelyn Green, but was impressed by her writing and her book ideas. Knowing that this is the second book in her Heroines Behind the Lines Civil War series, I now want to read the first book in this series and I'm anxious for her to come out with her next book in the series.  I love books that surprise me!
_______________
I received this book free from River North Publishers, a part of Moody Publishers, and CFBA in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment