Sunday, July 21, 2013

Water Baby Learns to Ski by Barbara Collins

9781620202166
This book is written for younger children, I think.  I would think that a child from baby to 2 would like this book.  It has simple sentences with only 1-2 sentences on each page.  The illustrations are cute and do catch the eyes of the children.  My daughter really liked looking at the pictures.

As for the story, I think I expected more.  From what I gather, the story is written in honor of her son who she considers her "water baby."  The water and boat was important to Mrs. Collins, as her dedication mentions that her family spent a lot of time in the boat.  That was important to read so you can have a better understanding of the story.

The story is of a young child that is learning to ski.  To start, he is skiing on grass and in the bath.  Then it's time for him to start in trainer skis, then one ski, no skis, and a wake board.  It looks like fun and is a cute story, but I didn't really get a message from the book other than skiing is fun.  The review in the front of the book talks about learning character, but the only thing that touches on character is the last page telling children to be a champion and do your best in all you do.  I felt like there could have been more that talked about this if character training was really what she wanted to focus on in the book.  I didn't see that message.  For me, the theme was a water baby can ski with different skis.
___________
I received this book free from Ambassador International in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment