Friday, May 13, 2016

Unchanging Witness by S. Donald Fortson III and Rollin G. Grams

Unchanging Witness: The Consistent Christian Teaching on Homosexuality in Scripture and Tradition

Unchanging Witness is definitely a book for our current times. This topic is front and center in our nation today and Christians run the gamut as to what they think God teaches on this topic. Non-Christians stick to the typical verses to try to say "judge not" and all of the other typical arguments. To say that both of these groups are clashing is an understatement. 

Being that I am younger, I had no idea as to when the entire Gay Movement started and what all it entailed. I was surprised by my lack of knowledge towards this history. I appreciated that the authors spent time laying a strong foundation in the history of this movement and how we have gotten to this point in our culture now.

I have not been to seminary but I like to be challenged in my reading choices. With that said, I found this book to be very well written and it included any and every question I could think of. I appreciated that these questions weren't backed by opinion, but were backed by Scripture. Not having a seminary degree or lots of knowledge in the history and culture of certain texts, I really enjoyed this background. 

I wouldn't qualify this book as "light" reading, and I don't think that the authors consider this book to be taken "lightly." It deals with some weighty topics and is counter-cultural. It is definitely a book I'd like to reread because there is so much in it that I'm afraid I've missed!
____________
I received this book free from B & H Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.



0 comments:

Post a Comment