
I absolutely love the style of this book. It was refreshing because it read in a way that many of my latest books haven't. It set it apart, in a sense.
I liked the flashbacks and the honesty in which this book was written. I enjoyed the humor and even the darkness that plagued Alice. I can't relate to her life but I hurt for her. I found her adventures and her thoughts in church hilarious. It wasn't sacrilegious at all. I thought it pretty well depicted what many non-believers feel about the church today.
The only problem that I had with the book were the few instances that less-than-pleasant words were used, like "hell" and "d***." I don't personally use those words and since reading Christian fiction is something I like to do because I don't have to censor what my eyes see or my ears hear, it was a little disappointing to me to find those words in there. I completely understood the context and understand that she was a non-Christian, but they could easily have been left out and the meaning not change at all. You still would have gotten the fact that Alice was a rough girl with a rough past. Many people don't mind those kind of words in a book, but I just really like letting my guard down in reading, which is why I specifically chose to read Christian fiction.
The message of the book is still wonderful and the storyline grips you to make it quite hard to put the book down. I do look forward to reading more by Carrie Gerlach Cecil.
-------------
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment