Monday, February 4, 2013

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow by Olivia Newport

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow, Avenue of Dreams Series #2
I liked everything about this book.  I had read the first book and forgotten some of it, but as soon as I saw the Ferris wheel on the the cover, I immediately remembered the story from the first book in this series.  You don't have to have read the first book in the series to understand this one because this book focuses on a totally different character.  Charlotte, who is Lucy Banning's house maid and mostly tends to the needs of Lucy, has a baby and only Lucy knows about this baby, Henry.  The story highlights Charlotte and Henry and her husband, along with a coachman, Archie, who has eyes for Charlotte.
With the setting of Chicago, you get to have a glimpse into the higher society life, but that glimpse is coming now through the eyes of the maids and servants.  The first book in the series tended to focus on Lucy and the life of the higher society. 
I love that the World's Columbian exposition of 1893 is brought into the story again.  I found it fascinating to hear the different opinions of the Ferris wheel and it made me think about how much faith it took to get on that ride.  We just jump on it now without even thinking about it, but at that time, it was a major deal.  I appreciated the history behind this book and the exposition.
I really look forward to seeing what the next book in this series is going to be in this series, The Avenue of Dreams.  I'm having a hard time guessing who the story will focus on, but I know it will be just as well-written as all of her books are.
_____________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment