
I admire John Piper and love his sermons. He is challenging, counter-cultural, and very biblical. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear and isn't a teacher who teaches prosperity is promised to every believer. I appreciate his knowledge on the Bible and how he challenges believers to risk everything the sake of Christ.
Culture says we should hoard and be comfortable. The Bible says we will have what we need and if we don't have it, perhaps we don't need it. I liked how he talked about the passage in Matthew 6:25, 31-33 and compared it to Romans 8:35. I hear that passage in Matthew used a lot and out of context. Many think that God will give them clothes and food galore, but that's not what it says. I was glad Piper pointed out that He will give us "enough so that you can trust him and do his will."
Another point I liked had to do with affliction. Paul made affliction his slave and conquered it. I had never quite heard it explained like this, but the whole section about affliction was beautiful. You can't help but see the mercy of God even in affliction when you know that the enemy wants you to die in pity and denouncing Christ. I found that section so encouraging and hope that I will always think of affliction in this manner and can even share it with others.
Above all, Piper reminds us that we face risks everyday. None of us know when our time will come to perish, but what we choose to do with our lives is up to us. Will we take the risk for Christ and make our lives count or will we choose to waste our life--living for our fleshly desires.
______________
I received this book free from Crossway in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment