Friday, February 21, 2014

My Amish Boyfriend by Melody Carlson

My Amish Boyfriend  -     By: Melody Carlson
Melody Carlson is an author I like to go to when I'm looking for a good light-hearted, fun read.  Her story lines are fun, not necessarily reality.  However, the emotions that her characters feel are very much real and easy to identify.


In this book, I can't imagine how Shannon juggles school and taking care of her sick mother.  I know people do have to do that as young people and they are to be commended.  The book is tailored more for youth, I think.  The situation Shannon is in is very easily identifiable with many in today's youth. 


I found Shannon's selflessness refreshing.  It was such a good example for not just youth, but for adults, as well.  She laid aside her summer plans and her desires to go with her mom to take care of her.  She had no idea where she was going and the fact that her mother had family came quite as a surprise.


It as fun to watch her try to become Amish.  I can only imagine how difficult that would be.  But I liked how Ezra was able to help Shannon get through those dark times of summer.


The only hard part for me about this book was trying to get back to thinking I was young.  I tend to put myself in as the character, so it was hard for me to go into that mindset.  I'm impressed by those people that can easily do that.  With that said, this book wasn't meant for adults, so her goal was accomplished.  However, I did read it and enjoy it very much.
_____________
I received this book free from Revell Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment