Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hope Unseen by Captain Scotty Smiley

It is hard to capture my entire thoughts on this book.  I would be saddened one moment and then hopeful and then would bust out laughing.  It's been a while since a book took me on such a roller coaster ride!

Captain Scotty Smiley is an inspiration to all.  I had just read something in my Bible study a few days ago about how our health may not be the blessing God gives us.  Maybe the blessing is having a righteous character through our bad health.  I read that right before I got this book and I think that sums up Smiley quite well.  He struggled with God, as most would do when going through a trial, but he realized God didn't leave him.  He still kept his righteous character and knows that God has a purpose and a reason for him to be blind.

I found the stories he told quite fascinating, but I teared up when he talked about not seeing his children.  I had never really thought about how being blind would mean that you couldn't see them.  I'm not for sure why that never crossed my mind, but it didn't.  I was sad for him in that regard but I absolutely loved how he said that he would "see" them in heaven one day and that the Lord's face would be the first one he saw.  That was so beautiful and such a testament to his strong faith.

I really enjoyed the humorous stories that were placed throughout this book, as well.  He has a way of making situations not seem so bad because of his humor.  I loved the visual I got from the story he told about his wife and him watching television and her trying to describe it to him.  I also liked the one where she had to try to name the famous sports people in the room with them.  Being a woman, I know that is a task that isn't easy to do for most girls.

This book needs to be read by all.  It's an encouragement for those who can't seem to find their way out of despair and want to give up.  It's an eye-opener for those who haven't fought in the war on terror and are for the most part, oblivious to what they are seeing over there.  It's a reminder for believers to pray for their safety and for their families daily.
_________________
I received this book from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment