Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Weight of Mercy by Deb Richardson-Moore

Despite not agreeing with everything that the author says, I found this book to pierce so much that it goes straight to your heart.  Working with troubled youth that come from hard places, I can relate to so much of her feelings.  I could understand just wanting to trust someone at the facility, when in reality, you can't trust anyone.  I can relate to frustration that addicts would choose their drugs/alcohol/other things over their families or their futures.  I can relate to the helplessness of what the next step should be.  I can relate to the uncomfortableness because this is out of our comfort zones.  This was an encouragement to me to know that I am normal in my feelings and that it's okay to acknowledge that but to not let fear rule.

Deb Richardson-Moore has a true passion for the people who enter through the doors of Triune Mercy Center, as well as for those who haven't blessed them with their presence.  She didn't have any problems with asking a drug addict for help.  She sees past the addiction, past the problems, and shows her readers that these are real people who have made wrong choices or that have had a hard life. 

I closed this book knowing that I would be even more patient and even more passionate about the kids that I work with and I'm glad.  Too often you hear of only negative things concerning the "youth of this day."  It was nice to know that someone else has a huge heart for those who struggle with things that can only be accomplished with God's help.  If we're honest, we all struggle with things that only God can help us accomplish.
_____________
I received this book free from Kregel Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment