Thursday, December 20, 2012

Past Darkness by Laurel Woiwode




I was drawn in to this book during the first chapter.  I am a musician so I was excited about reading this book because music was a love of the characters.  I was saddened by the tragedy that occurred in Gabrielle's family and I appreciated her attitude while adjusting to her new "normal."  She did not seem bitter, wasn't out for revenge, and didn't get caught up with the wrong crowd or allow the tragedy to be an excuse for why she did things.  She accepted it as it was, mourned, and moved on while still going through the grief process.  She had an attitude that made her very endearing and enjoyable to read.

The way that she worked through her relationships with her grandparents who wanted nothing to do with her father was beautiful.  Knowing that she would even try when they didn't even bother to come to their own son's funeral was merciful.  I enjoyed seeing mercy played out through the pages of this book.


The only thing that I disliked about this book was the fact that it used two words that I feel are words that don't really belong in a "Christian fiction" book.  In fact, I read Christian fiction so that I don't have to read those words.  If I wanted to read them, then I would read other books, but I like that to be my escape where I don't have to censor all that goes into my head.  I consider these words to be curse words but I know some people don't and are more lenient.  However, since I am to be honest, I lost some interest in the book after reading it.  I just couldn't find the same connection I once had because I had been thrown off of what I feel are words that reflect a Christ-like attitude.  Once again, I know everyone has an opinion and this may not bother many people, but it did me.
________________________
I received this book free from Crossway in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.






0 comments:

Post a Comment