Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sugar Fork by Walt Larimore

I had no idea what to expect of this book and didn't know whether this was a book I would enjoy or not.  I had never read anything by Walt Larimore but decided to give it a chance.  I have found that more often than not, I really come to love those authors that I haven't been introduced to yet.  I'm very excited that I can now add Larimore to my list of authors that I will continue to read.  I have already been online to search out Hazel Creek to see if it is somehow attached to this book and I think it is. 

Sugar Fork is not part of a series, from my understanding, but it does continue the story from Hazel Creek and I believe another one will follow it because the reader is left hanging at the end of the story.  From what I read about Hazel Creek, the characters are the same so I am excited to read it to get more of the back story on the Randolph family.

Based with the setting of the Great Smoky Mountains wilderness during 1925-1926, this book is full of history that I never knew about.  I knew "mountain folks" were looked down upon by the city people and that those who lived in the mountains stuck together, but I didn't know the history, including prohibition, trying to get a national park, and the world of lumber and to what lengths people would go to obtain trees.

I was very sad for Abbie, but was amazed at her strength throughout the book.  I could totally relate to her losing it with her sisters towards the end of the book, which I enjoyed.  Up to that point, she had flaws, but I think this made her seem more real and less perfect in my eyes.  The pain she must have felt with the tragedies that occurred in her life would be horrific.  However, her unwavering strength in God was beautiful to watch.  I liked how the community pulled together to care and watch over the girls and even came to love "the Haint."

Rich in history, but full of a beautiful story, this is a book that you will agree is a story well-told.  I could easily picture the places and people in my head.  If you haven't read anything by Larimore, start with this book or Hazel Creek
________________
I received this book free from Howard Publishing, a division of Simon and Schuster Publishing Group, in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment