Saturday, December 15, 2012

Living in Harmony by Mary Ellis


What a great beginning to a brand new series by Mary Ellis!  This is the first book in her "The New Beginnings" series that involve 4 sisters who have suddenly become orphans after their parents died in a house fire.  Two of the sisters stay in Lancaster, but 2 (Amy and Nora) go with Amy's fiance to Maine to be with his brother and sister-in-law.  Amy's fiance, John, is convinced Maine is where they need to be, despite the rules being stricter than Lancaster.

I really struggled with liking John for most of the book.  By the end, he won me over, but there were many moments where I disliked him.  He came across as selfish and self-absorbent to me.  Amy was sweet and I thought that she could do better.  I was glad that things changed for both of them at the end of the boo.

I am looking forward to reading her second book in the series as she goes further with Nora.  I suspect something might happen with John's brother, Elam, and I can't wait to see what happens with them and how their family responds.  I do hope there is some reconciliation with his family and that they become a bit more understanding with both of them. 

I also would like to hear more about how Amy and John fare in the new life together.  I really liked Sally and Thomas.  I struggled some with liking Thomas, but I also began to like him as he softened in his ways a bit.  This is another great book by Mary Ellis that is quite enjoyable to read.
_________________
I received this book free from Harvest House Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion about this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment