Tuesday, March 12, 2013

One Glorious Ambition by Jane Kirkpatrick

I can only begin to imagine how much time this book took to research and write.  Jane Kirkpatrick had to have spent countless hours pouring over much information and trying her hardest to condense it into an interesting fiction book that is full of correct, historical facts.  I like that about her.  I love to learn, but sometimes I don't like reading textbook facts from books.  It's much more fun to learn great historical records from a fiction book and then to go back later and research it some more.
Being a music therapist and working a lot with the mentally ill, I found Dorothea Dix to be an amazing woman in her advocacy for the mentally ill patients and their care.  You can see that through her life, God had prepared her to be used for this cause.  He gave her all the knowledge that she would need and placed her at the right places at the right times to be a voice for the mentally ill patients.
I like how this book focuses on the different years of her life.  I feel like our younger years define much of us and to leave that information out would have been a disservice.  She learned a lot from her earlier years, which led to her being used as she grew older.  Her home life was not one to be desired, but she is a huge example of someone who turned it around and let God do something amazing with her life.  What a testimony!
_____________
I received this book from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment