Friday, March 15, 2013

The Privilege of Persecution by Dr. Carl A. Moeller & David W. Hegg

The Privilege of Persecution: And Other Things the   Global Church Knows That We Don't
The title of this book attracted me to this book.  I was startled when I had read a quote in the VOM magazine when one man asked for the readers to not pray for their persecution to end but to pray for the strength to endure.  They talked about how persecution was growing the global church and they didn't want the persecution to end, but for their focus to remain centered on God.  The whole time I was reading this book, I thought of that man.
This book is divided into 6 different chapters: God and His Word; Worship and the Church; Prayer and Dependence; Community, Culture, and Evangelism; Leadership, Authority, and Power; Generosity and Stewardship.
I liked a lot in the book, but I was deeply challenged by the Prayer and Dependence chapter.  I think the way that American depend on God and how those in the persecuted church depend on God are totally different, due to persecution.  When you are depending on God for your life or those of your family, you have a certain level of knowing God is the only one who can keep you alive.  I'm not minimizing what Americans face, but it is different from those in persecuted countries.
I also liked the Community, Culture, and Evangelism chapter.  All of the statements about time are so true.  Sometimes our time is so filled up that we can't hear God or we don't have a deep relationship with Him because we don't give Him much time unless we are in a bind.  However, those being persecuted are forced to put their attentions on God and rely on Him for everything.
______________
I received this book free from Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment