Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hope Runs by Claire Diaz-Ortiz & Samuel Ikua Gachagua


I appreciate this fresh perspective that Hope Runs brings to their readers.  After reading that Hope Runs had an article in Runner's World, that reminded me that's where I had first read about this organization.

Claire is a person that I admire.  She isn't letting fear or anything stop her from her mission given to her.  She has invested her life selflessly.  I include her friend Lara in this, too.  The whole paper scenario was a little mind-boggling to me.  My children, and myself included, go through lots of paper a day without a second thought.  It was pitiful to think of that little girl with her hand under the door asking for paper. I know she was being used, to get paper, but it would be awfully had to say no!

It puzzles me where Sammy's mother has gone.  I can't imagine how she just left them without ever coming home.  To read Sammy's sister's words to her aunt brought tears to my eyes.  I can't imagine how much she has wrestled with her mom's absence.  The questions Sammy and his family have must be something they always battle with. 

Sammy and his friend are both ones that you can't help but love.  I am so glad he was given the opportunities he had.  He worked hard and never forgot where he came from.  I liked hearing his opinions on those who come thinking they are doing good for a week, but in fact aren't doing much.  They need long-term people and commitments.  I liked how Claire shares some of the parenting struggles with discipline.  It would have to be a hard thing to jump into, but even harder because the culture is so different so each country sees things differently.

I hope to hear more about Claire and Sammy and Lara.  I can't wait to see how Sammy impacts Kenya!
_______________
 
I received this book free from Revell Publishes in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment