Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sing for Me by Karen Halvorsen Schreck

sing-for-me

If there's a book that includes music and history, I'm all in!  Being a music therapist, I love nothing more than sharing music with others and watching it help to change lives.  I appreciated that aspect so much in this book.  I was really impressed with this début novel by Karen Halvorson Schreck.  It's always a little scary and exciting for me when I read a new author.  I like the freshness she brings and appreciate all of the digging she did with the history.

The book grabbed me from the beginning, but I was really sold from the cover and the title of the book.  I knew I was in for the long haul! However, I can see that this book may be a bit slow moving for certain people and they might would want to put it down. I encourage you not to! It really is good from start to finish, but the pace does pick up as you get more into the story.

Despite the trials Rose faces in this major decision she has to make about music and her future, I still find it relevant today.  Ultimately, she had to decide if she was going to obey God of if she was going to listen to the criticism and rules of man instead.  All I kept thinking about was how often we let men's words stop us and we cease to fulfill God's purpose for us. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what else this author has to share with us.  It's a fresh story from a new author!

_______________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.



1 comments:

Sue W said...

Thanks for the review. History usually pulls me in and music adds another dimension. I'll be on the lookout for a copy of it.

Post a Comment