
I enjoy reading any book by Dan Walsh. He always reminds me of Nicholas Sparks and I'm so glad to have a Christian novel that reads so much like his books. This was a book that I was not expecting because of the deep topic. I was impressed that Walsh as able to get inside the mind of a little child so easily and make it read interestingly to an adult.
I absolutely cannot imagine what life was like for the Harrison's as they longed for their little Timmy to be returned. It was so sad to read, but I was thankful for the ending. I was a little surprised about how some marriages were back then. I knew that June Cleaver and other women were depictions of that time and was a little shocked that many would lie about their marriage because of the stigma of divorce. Divorce is so common now that many barely give it a second thought. I liked watching Scott fight for his marriage.
I found the historical time frame quite fascinating. It was scary to think of how close we came to having WWIII and on our own soil. 1962 was a time when the world was changing and no one knew the direction it was headed.
Dan Walsh adds his own note to the book and I think it shed extra light onto this book and why he chose 1962. It was interesting that many chose to be Christians in the pew but not let Jesus be reflected in their daily lives. I know that still happens but it's hard to imagine at times when I think of how many preachers are preaching the Gospel lived out to bring glory to God through every moment in our lives and to live with eternity in mind.
I liked how all of these things weaved themselves seamlessly through the pages of this book. The changes never felt abrupt but transitioned well between the many different characters.
Oh, and I love this cover. Beautifully done!
_____________
I received this book free from Revel Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment