Thursday, April 3, 2014

Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full by Gloria Furman

Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full

Gloria Furman is probably in the top 2 of my favorite authors on motherhood.  I'm drawn to the authors who don't look at motherhood as a chore, but looks to the Scriptures as a blessing.  Everyone knows motherhood is hard.  However, keeping the eternal focus is a lot harder and is where I'd say most moms need encouragement.  I know I do!

I had my journal beside me while I was reading this book.  There were so many things in it that I wanted to be sure to write down, so when I was discouraged, I could find it quickly.  I saw that Crossway is offering a free study guide along with this book. I downloaded it, but haven't done it, yet.  I really want to, though.

I think this would be a perfect women's group book.  What mother doesn't need to be reminded of the Gospel and how it relates to parenting and the Gospel?!  With summer coming up and the kids around more than normal, I'd dare say this release is perfect timing.

The book itself is very short and the chapters are short. I got to the end and wanted more!  I love how everything points to Christ.  When I finished reading a chapter, all I wanted to do was dive into God's Word even more. 

If you're looking for a step-by-step checklist parenting book, this isn't what you're looking for.  However, I think once you are reminded of the Gospel in parenting, you'll find you don't need a checklist.  Without your heart centered on Christ, you can't expect the same from your child's.  Letting God change you and remind you of your focus helps in those mundane, everyday tasks that are quite often challenging and overwhelming.

I can't wait for another book by Gloria.  Until then, I guess I'll just have to read her blog!
________________
I received this book free from Crossway Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment