
This is such a fascinating book with a neat perspective. I like how all of the stories came from once spoken stories and not stories that were written down. I can't imagine how much research this took in order to write down and compile all of these personal stories. It's such a wonderful family heritage that his family helped to participate in this book over so many years.
I truly don't know much about Abraham Lincoln, except for your typical text book/school lessons, which I'm sad to say didn't stick entirely. If they had taught them in the way that this book shared about Abraham Lincoln, I'm sure that it would have stuck more. I came away with such a respect for President Lincoln and I really liked his character.
I figured President Lincoln liked to read just because of the time period he was in, but I was glad to know that my assumption was true. I like the picture of him wheeling around the baby as a young boy with his nose in the book the entire time. Book lovers everywhere can appreciate that and probably relate to that!
Another thing that stuck out to me was the story of him showing up at the rectory early one morning with the desire to be married. I saw how he worked hard and tried to make right whatever he did wrong. I very much respect that character trait. The goat on the bed story was quite hilarious, too. I'm sure I would have responded in the exact same way as Mrs. Cuthbert!
Any history lover would love this book for sure, but I think this book is also a great read for lovers of any genre. It has something for everyone and is written so personally that it seems like you are stepping into a conversation and you get to see the intimate side of President Lincoln. He was quite a man. The book doesn't read in a text book fashion. If it did, I'd sure be put to sleep by it. Instead, I found myself turning pages, more curious about the stories I'd learn about this man who lived and died so many years before me.
_______________
I received this book free from Howard Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




0 comments:
Post a Comment