Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pieces of the Heart by Bonnie S. Calhoun

Pieces of the Heart, Quilts of Love Series #8   -     
        By: Bonnie Calhoun
I liked the cover of this book.  It perfectly told me what the book was about.  I liked the colors and the contrasting colors in the quilt.  It's definitely a beautiful cover.
 
I liked the new perspective I had from this book.  I've read several books about WWII but none of them took on this perspective of being an African American during this time.  I liked how it discussed the different color skins because I honestly didn't know that there was segregation even among their community that led them to act harshly against each other.  I liked Cordelia Grace and how she didn't let that bother her.  It definitely didn't stop her friendship with Gertie.
 
I liked Bernard, but towards the middle I grew to have mixed feelings about him.  I think he started changing some then.  He definitely changed by the end thanks to PTSD.  That was hard to read because it does affect so many people, but sometimes I think people pay attention more when it's real issues that are put into a fiction book.  I'm glad so much attention was brought to the issue of PTSD.
 
I have never read any books by Bonnie S. Calhoun, but I'll be sure to add her to my list now, as well!
____________
I received this book free from CFBA and Abingdon Press in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment