As I've said about every book in this series, I really like the Quilts of Love series. I have quite a fondness for quilts and really enjoy making them so I like to know the stories behind them. I can't help but think of some of these stories when I look at my own quilts and then I like to remember my story while I was making that quilt.I like how there is a broad range of people that have been in this series and who have all shared one passion....quilts. The commonality of quilts has now bridged over to the Native Americans in this book. It was fun to think of them having these beautiful quilts, because I honestly think of the Amish and quilts! I liked this new story of how this one woman preserved her heritage with a quilt and a star.
The story of finding the balance between living as a Lakota and a Christian is fascinating. For Frankie Chasing Bear, who has a jaded view of Christianity some because of how her parents were treated and made to convert, I get the feeling she truly does want to believe. However, due to the horrible things that she's seen and heard, she sees how the Christians contradicted their faith.
I liked Nick and could understand Lakota's suspicion and wariness with him. I could also understand why she wanted to preserve the Lakota star for her son and the importance of the quilt. I liked imagining him telling his children the story behind this quilt. It would no doubt be filled with stories of how his mother learned how to live in 2 cultures and bridged the gap between both.
Once again, another great book in this series. Can't wait to see what comes out next and what type of character fills the pages in it!
Read more reviews on this book by going to http://litfusegroup.com/campaigns/a-sky-without-stars-linda-clare.
____________
____________
About Quilts of Love: Quilts tell stories of love and loss, hope and faith, tradition and new beginnings. The Quilts of Love series focuses on the women who quilted all of these things into their family histories. A new book releases each month and features contemporary and historical romances as well as women's fiction and the occasional light mystery. You will be drawn into the endearing characters of this series and be touched by their stories.
About the book: In 1951, Frankie Chasing Bear is a Lakota caught between cultures. She wants to raise her son Harold to revere his Lakota heritage, but she knows he will need to become as a white man to succeed. After his father's killed in a barroom brawl, Harold and Frankie move to Arizona, where she begins a Lakota Star pattern quilt for Harold with tribal wisdom sung, sewn and prayed into it.She distrusts Christians, as her own parents were forced to convert at an Indian School, until she meets BIA agent Nick Vandergriff, a half-Lakota who's also caught between cultures. Nick must convince Frankie that white men and Christians aren't all bad as he tries to win her heart in order to put the stars back into her sky.
Learn more about this book and the series at the Quilts of Love website.
Learn more about Linda at: http://www.lindasclare.com
____________
I received tis book free from Litfuse Publicity Group and Abingdon Press in exchange for my honest opinion of this book.




1 comments:
I found your blog when I posted my own review of this Quilts of Love book at Litfuse. Love the name of your blog. After skimming some of your recent postings, it seems that we've reviewed some of the same books, but not too many. I'll be checking in to see what you're reading and adding the best to my reading list. I am a retired school librarian and now spend my time reading, quilting, spoiling my grandchildren, and in the summer, gardening and traveling to our cabin in Northern Wisconsin. I hope you stop by my blog at Thoughts from Mill Street http://www.thoughtsfrommillstreet.blogspot.com I'd love more readers and comments.
Post a Comment